Alex Hirsch,(born on June 18, 1985) is the creator, executive producer, and director of the Disney Channel Animated Series, Gravity Falls. He voices some of the main characters, including Stan Pines, Soos, and also recurring characters like Old Man McGucket and the Gnomes. His twin sister is Ariel Hirsch.
He places many of his real-life experiences in the show, like living in Piedmont and trick-or-treating with his sister as cats. He based Mabel on his twin sister, Ariel Hirsch, and based the entire show loosely on his childhood summers. He gave Mabel a pig just like his sister had always wanted when she was a kid. He grew up in Piedmont, California.
Episodes written by Alex Hirsch
Season 0 (pilot)
- Every episode of Season 1
Roles in Gravity Falls
- Stan Pines
- Old Man McGucket
- Saunterblugget Hampterfuppinshire
- Paper Jam Dipper
- Quentin Trembley
- Sev'ral Timez members
- Bill Cipher
- Various others
He was the creative consultant for Fish Hooks, which he developed for television alongside Maxwell Atoms, where he portrays Clamantha, her father, Fumble, one of the fish police and a Ferret. He was also a writer and a storyboard artist for The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack. He also provided the voice of Officer Concord the Juice Time Juice Box Flavor Cop in the "Terrifying Tri-State Trilogy of Terror" episode of Phineas and Ferb, also on Disney Channel.
Alex Hirsch was born and raised in Piedmont, California, and he graduated from the California Institute of the Arts (CalArts) in Los Angeles County, California, in 2007. He also liked to go to Oregon, and often did so. Shortly after graduating, he worked at the digital entertainment studio JibJab and was a writer/storyboard artist on The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack. He also served as a creative consultant and helped develop the hit Disney Channel animated series, Fish Hooks, and voices the character Clamantha in the series. Hirsch chose Oregon as the setting for Gravity Falls after spending a summer there during college working for the animation studio Laika.
- He is the inspiration for Dipper.
- His twin sister, Ariel, is the inspiration for Mabel.
- A caricature of Hirsch is seen in "Bottomless Pit!" riding a unicycle.
- The bottom half of Hirsch's face is seen in one of the many photos in the opening.
- Alex's college roommate was the show's art director, Ian Worrel.
- Alex guest voiced Officer Concord for a Phineas and Ferb Halloween episode.
- Alex has joked about the rumors that he is hiding occult symbols in the show on multiple occasions.
List of articles and interviews