- This page is for Gravity Falls (TV series), information. For other uses, see Gravity Falls (disambiguation).
Gravity Falls is an animated Disney Channel Original Series created by Alex Hirsch. The first episode aired as a sneak preview on June 15, 2012 and the series officially premiered on June 29, 2012. On March 12, 2013, the show was renewed for a second season at the annual Disney upfront. The series was officially renewed for a second season on July 29, 2013, just four days before the Season 1 finale "Gideon Rises" premiered. The show will now premiere new episodes on Disney XD, as of Spring 2014, along with Wander Over Yonder. 
- Main article: Episode guide
Twin brother and sister Dipper and Mabel Pines are in for an unexpected adventure when they spend the summer with their great uncle in the mysterious town of Gravity Falls, Oregon, in the Disney Channel animated comedy "Gravity Falls." Upon their arrival, Dipper and Mabel's huckster great uncle, also known as Stan Pines, enlists the siblings' help in running the Mystery Shack, a tourist trap he owns that overcharges unsuspecting customers. Although Dipper and Mabel quickly discover the Mystery Shack itself is a hoax, they sense there is something strange about their new town and together they begin to unlock the secrets of Gravity Falls.
Thrust into their new summer home, the fish-out-of-water twins try to adapt to their weird surroundings, especially Grunkle Stan, whose insatiable appetite for money drives him to spin every opportunity into a financial advantage. While Dipper grumbles about the prospect of the same boring routine of working at Grunkle Stan's hokey shop, his extremely optimistic sister seizes the chance to seek out an epic summer romance.
However, summer becomes much more interesting for the siblings after Dipper inadvertently uncovers a cryptic journal that offers insight into the strange and wondrous mysteries of Gravity Falls. Before long, Dipper begins noticing the town's idiosyncrasies, and with the book in tow and his enthusiastic desire to vanquish evil, he sets out to investigate the town's secrets. Trapped together in the small isolated town, the siblings quickly realize they need each other to battle the imminent mysteries lurking in Gravity Falls. Meanwhile, when he isn't busy trying to make a quick buck from his unsuspecting customers, Grunkle Stan guards his own secret that might hold the key to unlocking the mysteries of Gravity Falls.
- Jason Ritter as Dipper Pines
- Kristen Schaal as Mabel Pines
- Alex Hirsch as Grunkle Stan and Soos
- Linda Cardellini as Wendy
- Dee Bradley Baker as Waddles
- Thurop Van Orman as Gideon Gleeful
- Niki Yang as Candy Chiu
- Carl Faruolo as Grenda
- Kevin Michael Richardson as Sheriff Blubs
- Keith Ferguson as Deputy Durland
- Alex Hirsch as Bill Cipher, Gnomes, and Old Man McGucket
- TJ Miller as Robbie
- Jackie Buscarino as Pacifica Northwest
- Stephen Root as Bud Gleeful
- Jennifer Coolidge as Lazy Susan
- John DiMaggio as Manly Dan
- Will Forte as Tyler
- Gregg Turkington as Toby Determined
- Coolio as Wax Coolio
- Larry King as Wax Larry King
- John Oliver as Wax Sherlock Holmes
- Justin Roiland as Blendin Blandin
- Ken Jenkins as Pa Ghost
- April Winchell as Ma Ghost
- Matt Chapman as Mermando
- Alfred Molina as Multi-Bear
- Lance Bass as a Sev'ral Timez member
- Brian Bloom as Rumble McSkirmish
- Jeff Bennett as Summerween Trickster
- Corey Burton as Lawyer
- Greg Cipes as Craz
- John Roberts as Xyler
Staff and Credits
|Director||First Episode||Ep Count|
|Aaron Springer||"The Inconveniencing"||7|
|Joe Pitt||"The Inconveniencing"||10|
|John Aoshima||"Tourist Trapped"||12|
|Writer||First Episode||Ep Count|
|Alex Hirsch||"Tourist Trapped"||20|
|Matt Chapman||"Boyz Crazy"||3|
|Michael Rianda||"The Legend of the Gobblewonker"||6|
|Nancy Cohen||"The Deep End"||1|
|Tim McKeon||"Dipper vs. Manliness"||8|
|Zach Paez||"The Hand That Rocks the Mabel "||5|
|Storyboarder||First Episode||Ep Count|
|Alonso Ramirez Ramos||"Tourist Trapped"||7|
|Chris Sonnenburg||"Irrational Treasure"||4|
|David Gemmill||"Bottomless Pit!"||4|
|Erik Fountain||"Tourist Trapped"||10|
|John Aoshima||"The Legend of the Gobblewonker"||1|
|Josue Crevantes||"Gideon Rises"||1|
|Luke Brookshier||"The Hand That Rocks the Mabel"||1|
|Mark Garcia||"Tourist Trapped"||5|
|Matt Braly||"Tourist Trapped"||7|
|Matt Danner||"Land Before Swine"||1|
|Neal F. Graf||"Summerween"||1|
|Niki Yang||"Tourist Trapped"||7|
|Patrick Harpin||"Carpet Diem"||1|
|Tyler Chen||"The Legend of the Gobblewonker"||4|
|Vaughn Tada||"Boyz Crazy"||1|
The series, created, directed and executive-produced by 2007 California Institute of the Arts (CalArts) graduate Alex Hirsch (Fish Hooks, The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack), is a production of Disney Television Animation. Set in the Pacific Northwest woods, the animated series features supernatural elements of adventure and mystery, inspired by the real-life summer trips shared by Hirsch and his twin sister while visiting relatives as kids.
"Mabel is going to be one of the breakout characters of the show. I really owe it to my sister and her many quirks. When we were growing up, my sister was obsessed with the boy band ’N Sync. She even broke her toe jumping up and down during one of their concerts. So, we did a show about a boy band, and of course, I had to get Lance Bass to do the voice of the singer. I had my sister fly down to meet him. She also always wanted to have a pet pig when we were kids, so I gave Mabel a pet pig on the show and she can live vicariously through her. She owes me big!"
The town of Gravity Falls was inspired by various towns and national parks Alex Hirsch in which has spent time, particularly Boring, Oregon. As Hirsch has commented, "We passed a sign for Boring, Oregon. We never went there, but I was positively enchanted with the idea that there was a town called Boring, Gravity Falls is partially from what I imagine Boring might be like. Or maybe the opposite of Boring, Oregon, would be Gravity Falls."
Click here to view this page's gallery.
References in Other Media
- Gravity Falls was seen on MAD, a series from Cartoon Network. Dipper, Mabel, Wendy, Stan, and Soos appeared as photos, and the words 'Gravity Falls' on a bulletin board in the background of the 10th episode, of Season 3 of MAD.
- In "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" Comic Issue #5, a pony named "Maybelle" appears in Rarity's nightmares. Alex Hirsch joked about suing Lauren Faust, (an old friend) on Twitter.
- On AwesomenessTv in the song "I'm Pinterested" sung by Audrey Whitby and Gracie Dzienny, Audrey is wearing a Dipper Pines hat. She wears it through the whole song.
- In the popular animated web series "Eddsworld", in an episode titled 'Fun Dead", a girl resembling Mabel Pines appears in a few frames for a television advertisement for the fictional theme park Asdfland.
The series has received universal acclaim. It currently holds a 8.8 rating on TV.com, and 8.5 rating from over 4,012 users on IMDb.com. From critics, the show has received generally positive reviews. Brian Lowry of Variety stated, "The show has a breezy quality that should play to kids, and tickle some twinges of nostalgia among their parents."  While the Los Angeles Times Robert Lloyd referred to the program as "..gently twisted, with some Disneyfied action and heart-warming folded in". In his review, David Hinckley of Wikipedia:New York Daily News called Gravity Falls, "quirky and endearing", and offered praise for the character of Mabel Pines. Matt Blum, writing for Wired, favorably compared the show to Cartoon Network's animated program Regular Show and Disney Channel's animated program Phineas and Ferb, hailing Gravity Falls as "clever, strange, and somewhat poignant".
Awards and nominations
|40th Annual Annie Awards||Production Design in an Animated Television/Broadcast Production for "Tourist Trapped"||Ian Worrel||Nominated|
|Voice Acting in an Animated Television/Broadcast Production for Mabel Pines||Kristen Schaal||Won|
|2nd Annual PAAFTJ Awards||Best Animated Series||Gravity Falls||Not Announced|
|PromaxBDA 2013 Promotion, Marketing and Design Awards||Marketing Presentation - Print or Specialty for Disney Channel's Gravity Falls Affiliate Mailer||Disney and ESPN Media Networks||Won|
|2013 Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV: Animated Show||Gravity Falls||Nominated|
|41st Annual Annie Awards||Best Animated TV/Broadcast Production For Children's Audience||Gravity Falls||Nominated|
|Directing in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production for "Gideon Rises"||John Aoshima||Nominated|
|Storyboarding in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production for "Gideon Rises"||Alonso Ramos-Ramirez||Nominated|
|61st Golden Reel Awards||Best Sound Editing: Sound Effects, Foley, Dialogue, and ADR Animation in Television for "Gideon Rises"||Gravity Falls||Nominated|
|2014 Kids Choice Awards||Favorite Animated Animal Sidekick||Waddles||Nominated|
|3rd Annual BTVA Awards||Best Female Lead Vocal Performance in a Television Series - Comedy/Musical for Mabel Pines||Kristen Schaal||Won|
|Best Female Vocal Performance in a Television Series in a Supporting Role - Comedy/Musical for Wendy||Linda Cardellini||Nominated|
- Unlike recent Disney Channel cartoons, such as Phineas and Ferb and Fish Hooks, and Wander Over Yonder, Gravity Falls does not have two episodes in one 30 minute time slot, but uses the entire 30 minute time slot for one episode.
- Additionally, rather than starting with an opening theme, Gravity Falls starts with a cold open, similar to Disney Channel's live action shows and older Disney Channel cartoons.
- Dipper and Mabel are based on the show's creator, Alex Hirsch, and his twin sister, Ariel Hirsch.
- The first episode was available as a free HD/SD download off the US iTunes Store for a limited time.
- Gravity Falls is animated in Korea by Digital eMation, Inc. and Rough Draft Studios Korea Co., Ltd.
- The reason why some characters have four fingers and others have five was an aesthetic choice. In the character designing phase it was decided some characters simply looked better with five fingers over four. Michael Rianda has stated that for various reasons they should have kept it consistent, so the audience should just pretend everyone has five fingers.
- In the early promotional material of Dipper's postcard home has a few strands of Joe Pitt's real hair.
- Disney had originally planned for an eight month long hiatus in between "Summerween" and "Boss Mabel" instead of the four month long one it had.
- The backgrounds are all painted in Adobe Photoshop.
- According to Alex Hirsch, Dipper and Mabel will be returning home at the end of the series 
- A typical Gravity Falls script is 45 pages with action single-spaced, and dialogue double-spaced. About 15 pages per act. A 30 minute show is usually three acts.